Search
  • Gardens Animal Hospital

What to do when your pet eats something toxic.

Updated: Sep 23, 2019

Every pet owner has gone through this at some point in their pet owning life. Your beloved pet has eaten something they shouldn’t have. Your stomach drops, you panic and you have no idea what to do. You’re thinking the absolute worst.


Now what?


Do NOT call your Veterinarian first. Yeah, I know that sounds crazy right? However, the Pet Poison Helpline is who you need to call FIRST.


Pet Poison Helpline is a 24/7 animal poison control helpline 844-442-0881. A $49.00 incident fee applies to all calls. However, with this fee a Veterinarian who is trained in situations just like the one you have just found yourself in will be there to guide you through this horrible experience. They’ll tell you whether you need to get your pet to the vet immediately or if you can relax, have a glass of wine and just monitor your pet at home. They also give you a case number in the event you do need to get to your Veterinarian ASAP. Your Veterinarian can then contact Pet Poison Helpline with that case number and find out EXACTLY how to treat your pet.


If you are directed to go to your Veterinarian be sure to bring your case number with you!


Some of the most common toxicities include…




Foods – specifically chocolate, xylitol, and grapes/raisins.

Insecticides – including sprays, bait stations, and spot on flea/tick treatments.

Mouse and rat poison – rodenticides.

NSAIDS human drugs – such as ibuprofen, naproxen.

Household cleaners – sprays, detergents, polishes.


Pet Poison Helpline also has a Poison Search List if you are ever curious as to what is poisonous to your pet.


https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poisons/


#gardensanimalhospital #gardensanimalhospitalpbg #animalhospital #vetclinic #veterinaryclinic #veterinaryblog #veterinaryblogpost #pettoxicity #petpoisonhelpline #palmbeachgardens #florida #palmbeachcounty #southflorida #veterinarymedicine

18 views